Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Chinese Afternoon and Dinner

After quite a nap we wandered around this afternoon and found the pet market, the herb market, and the way to Shamian Island all in about 10 blocks. The pet market was full of fish, dogs, cats, lizards, etc. The herb market was full of lots of things that none of us could identify. We found a few things that looked like ginger and it looked like you could buy dried seahorses by the shovel load. I'm not sure exactly why anyone would do that, but you could from more than one shop owner.

We asked about a good place for dinner and the person at our hotel suggested the Guangzhou restaurant. Katie carefully looked over the menu and found there was nothing that she would eat. I thought I could be a little more adventurous, so I took a look and agreed with her. Luckily, there was an additional menu with options that sounded a little more palatable. It turned out that we had a really good meal. Once I forget the image of the duck skull that stared at me for most of the meal, I might be able to sleep again.

Most importantly, we are grateful to all be here safely, healthy, with our luggage, and pretty well rested! And we can't describe how excited and happy we our to get our little girl tomorrow!!!

6 comments:

  1. We are so thrilled for all of you and loving the updates!! You stay in our thoughts and prayers!! Keep us updated and we look forward to meeting Francie!! Love to all!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Greetings! We were there in July to get our son, and there is a fantastic place to eat on Shamian Island called LaDolce Vita...great Italian food.
    Blessings to you from a fellow Harrahs adoptee.
    Gary

    ReplyDelete
  3. My bad...I got my Yahoo groups mixed up. I see your daughter is coming from Shantou. Even better, that is where our son is from. Looking forward to following your journey. Thanks for letting us follow.
    Gary and Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  4. Katie and Randy,

    We are so excited for y'all and can't wait to meet Francie! We look forward to more updates!

    Kim Hodges

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations on making it through the flight! I'm so happy for you. You're going to make a great family of four and I'm sure you'll adjust quickly to your new, richer life with both your children.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Lee!
    I hope you are having a great time with Francie, Mommy, and Daddy. I can't wait to hear about China when you get back.
    Have fun being a Big Brother!!
    Love,
    Rachel

    ReplyDelete