Monday, October 13, 2008

Nicknames



I have not yet revisited the topic of hair length although I have received a few e-mails and postings concerning the topic. It is safe to assume that Francie's hair will grow out over time, and we did hear that in her orphanage all children get their heads shaved for the summer. What has been difficult to pick up in the pictures is that Francie's eye lashes go on forever. What she lacks in hair on her head she makes up for with her eyes! When we first met Lee we were drawn to his cute little lips, but with Francie we are drawn to her long eye lashes and big, dark eyes. Katie's also not sure she's agreeing to passing our hair rule down to the next generation - she hates cutting Lee's locks and thinks Francie may have a sassy little short do!

The other cause for marital conflict right now has to do with nicknames for Francie. I think we'll survive, but it's become a major topic of conversation over here. Lee was almost instantly "Bug" to us. Bugaboo, Stinkbug, Lovebug, Snugglebug - they all just fit. We're struggling with what to call this little girl, and apparently my pronounciation of the word "girl" as "my suweet guuurrll" with 17 syllables is more than my patient wife can handle. We're open to suggestions, but here are the front runners in no particular order:
- Dumpling
- Bunny
- Munchkin
- Cookie
- MJ (She sticks her tongue out when she laughs like Michael Jordan, but cuter)
- MP (She has short legs and a long torso like Michael Phelps, but much cuter)

I'll add a poll to the right column of the website in a bit. Please note that unlike most reality shows, your vote may be entertaining, but is in no way binding.

13 comments:

  1. Well I can't resist a good poll. I went with Munchkin b/c you can even shorten that to "Munch" which reminds me of "Cookie" b/c you just want to eat her up, she is so cute. So really, you get two for one. :0)

    Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  2. Randy and family -

    Great to see you growing! The trip looks like an awesome adventure. Best of luck to you all!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Landon votes for cookies because he likes to eat them. and he likes to ask for cookies. He also liked the pictures of the monkey (oraungatang) and the baby tiger. Enjoy your stay while you can. You will be home and back to work soon enough.
    Kristin

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like "Bunny"...Bunny Girl, Honey Bunny...but best of all, you'd then have "Bug" & "Bunny"! :) I'm also glad you mentioned her never-ending eyelashes b/c I noticed them in one of the pics last week and actually got a little jealous of how long and gorgeous they are! Francie is too precious for words! Can't wait to meet her!!

    Laura M.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember the eyelashes. They are absolutely gorgeous. It is definitely her TRADEMARK to remember her by when you are at the orphanage and meeting a bunch of cuties.

    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ok - munchkin is SOOOOOOOO not politically correct - LOL. So I voted for Bunny, Honey bunny (there is even a song to go with this nickname), snuggle bunny, bunny bunny foofoo, there is so much to go with on this nickname. You honestly cannot compare your little beauty to MJ or MP...that is not even remotely possible. :o)
    Olivia will go crazy over the pictures of you all with the animals - I think I better not show her. She will want her next bday party in China.
    We miss you all and are so happy to follow your journey. I am so proud of Lee and already in love with Francie. You are SUPER blessed.

    ReplyDelete
  7. As much time as you're having to spend in China, glad all is going well

    Re: Francie's nickname... I'd say pick what you like ... I'm partial to Dumpling but ... seein' as y'all be Southnahs ... I'd say *Dumplin'*

    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  8. i voted for dumpling because dumplings are pretty popular in china right? however, it's hard to shorten (you can't call her dumpy). but you could call her dumpling baby and shorten that to DB....either way, they're all good nicknames and something will stick with you! and i can see what you mean about her eyes. i think there's a lot going on in those great, big, luminous eyes.....

    i'm enjoying the blog and hope you're having a great time! bet you can't wait to get home and start the rest of your lives together!

    :)
    betsy

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can't vote until I meet her! I'm not a big fan of MJ or MP, though. :) Munchkin, bunny, etc could all fit - just depends.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I voted for Bunny.. just seems to go with Bug!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes, Bunny~ such a cutie pie!!! It doesn't have to be shortened and it does go with bug~ bug was my nickname for my little guy and I always found myself calling him doodle bug. Bunny and bug :)) Too sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi to all of you. This is such fun! I love the pictures of Francie and Lee.

    Here are my two cents. I don't think Francie's nickname should be anything topical because it won't make much sense to her later on. This is much too serious for the comment page, but it's the school teacher in me.
    Love,
    Auntie M

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm going to share one of our kiddo nicknames -- "Boo", which can be worked into iterations such as Francie-boo, Bitty-boo, Silly-boo, and on and on!

    ReplyDelete